Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:32:08 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: help water pump 85 vanagon
Comments: To: TCarrington@relitech.com

In a message dated 12/13/2000 6:59:43 PM Pacific Standard Time, TCarrington@RELITECH.COM writes:

> The good news is that the t-stat housing bolts to the old *water pump*, not > the block. So if this is indeed the bolt in question, then if he breaks it > off the worst case scenario is having to find a hardware store to buy a > replacement bolt. >

I've got a worser case scenario. when going in to replace the thermostat the 3" bolt in my 1.9 liter (1983.5 westy) that holds the thermostat housing to the water pump was siezed inside my upper thermostat housing. The bolt would not turn. so I removed the water pump and upper thermostat housing as one unit and tried to get the 3" bolt out of the upper thermostat housing on the bench. The bolt broke with the shaft still seized in the upper thermostat housing (UTH from now on) and I had bent the UTH in the process.

problem is the new UTH costs $230 from the VW dealer and the VW dealer is the only supplier. Mind you it has no working parts. It is just a molded piece of aluminum that lets the coolant flow between the thermostat and the water pump. So that $230 is a hard pill to swallow.

So the repair can be costly. But I think it's a more simple repair than breaking a stud in the engine for what that's worth. There is of course waiting for the part. I have found Camelback VW in pheonix, arizona a good resource for discount genuine VW vanagon parts which they sell for 25% over wholsale cost--I think. It's the cheapest VW dealer in my experience. And they ship.

There is the option of finding a used UTH. But from my experience this can be frustrating. I bought a used one from a list vendor. The UTH attaches to the water pump on one side and then has a flange that links it to a short coolant hose that leads to the cylinder head. When I went to remove the flange from the used UTH because that flange was pitted, and because I didn't know if I could trust the gasket between the UTH and the flange the bolts attaching the flange to the UTH sheered--leaving the used UTH i had just purchased unusable without some drilling and rethreading which I was not in a position to do. So I had to eat the $75 I spent on the used UTH (When I contacted the vendor after one of the bolts on the used UTH sheered he told me I should not have tried to replace the pitted flange, just should have used it as it was, even though I had also ordered the gasket that goes between the flange and UTH at the time I ordered the used UTH. Suckers walk.) And then I went to see the dealer for the $230 part. Once I had it the whole thing went together without a hitch.

I hope some of this helps.

Good luck Jeff 83.5 Westy LA, CA

and when I went to remove and replace the old pitted flange from the used UTH those bolts busted.