Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:57:06 -0500
From:         Tim Hannink <hanninkt@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Rear Hatch Lock extension

I was browsing ebaY looking at Vanagon & Westfalia items and came across an auction for a rear latch extension for a Eurovan that holds the rear door open for ventilation purposes. I have made one of these to work on my 87 Camper using two 5/16" eyebolts with lag type threads screwed into a short piece (6-8") of hard plastic tubing, the kind they use for homes instead of copper these days. The diameter of the "eye" needs to be large enough (mine is 3/4") to fit over the stud on the latch. You will find that the eye won't just drop on the stud since the plate it is welded to is "L" shaped and the distance between the stud and the plate is less than 5/16". In order to get the eye over the stud, you need to line up the gap in the eyebolt with the gap between the stud and latch bracket. Its a lot like those metal ring puzzles we used to have with the two interlocked pieces that can only be separated by lining the gaps in the pieces up correctly. The advantage of making it fit together this way is, when installed, you can't remove the eyebolt from the stud when the other eyebolt is connected into the latching mechanism on the door. If you lock the rear hatch, you can't remove this assembly without unlocking the hatch.

I'm sure this is all as clear as mud, but it really is simple and works great.

Tim Hannink Winter Park, Florida 1987 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Camper - "Goldibox" http://hanninkt.home.netcom.com/