Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:39:39 -0800
From:         fgjh nmmm <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Expansion Tank Sensor
Comments: cc: Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>

Alas, I had this exact situation when my motor burned up...anyone having this should take it as a serious warning and fix it without delay before a disaster arrives! In my case, the sensor itself was cracked, allowing a small amount of coolant to seep up (I didn't know that at the time, just post-mortem...:-( Then, when my motor burned up after just a 10 minute drive (I sensed a power fall and stopped immediately, but it was too late) due to overheating from lack of coolant I was completely surprised, because there was no overheating warning and the coolant level lamp didn't blink either (I was absolutely sure it didn't, although the garage claimed I ignored it). I was especially outraged because I had replaced the water pump just two weeks before, so was sure the coolant system was purfect and checked. Anyway, the garage found that the oil cooler (the one that has both coolant and engine oil going through it) failed and let the coolant spill overnight. Thus, I was driving without coolant... Of course they blamed me of ignoring all warnings, but after a detailed investigation on my part I understood why the coolant temp gauge didn't warn me: since the temp sensor is mounted on a plastic hose and not on the engine block, and since coolant was gone the sensor was suspended in air and couldn't sense the true motor temperature. And the coolant level sensor (in the expansion tank) was soaked due to the crack, resulting in no warning and a very painfull repair bill. I had found all this by myself: the garage idiots didn't know this, and had also cited their "test procedure" of seeing that the coolant LED blinked after switching on the ignition as adequate. Of course this test is useless and just checks the LED and maybe the electronic circuit that drives it (that "relay" in in the fusebox). Anyway, they wouldn't take any responsibility. I had planned to sue them for negligence and demanded to see their original VW test procedures to show their negligence, but they wouldn't show me. At that time I didn't have a shop manual so couldn't prove my point. Now I wonder: any of the good mechanists on this list agree that indeed they were at fault (I still have to lookup the test procedure in the Bentley)? I can still sue them if I think I have a chance in court. Anyway, here's the moral: fix any problematic part in the warning system you are aware of for cheap, before you're in for a BIG repair... I have sinced added numerous temp sensors (and warning buzzers, not just lamps) to my motor, right on the motor head...

just my 2 cents...

cheers T-man

--- Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET> wrote: > > Aha! Mine has the little puddle around the > sensor, but I thought it was a > > worn out O-ring.

Nope, probably a cracked sensor or expansion tank.

> NO. Blinking at start up is just a self test > proceedure. I believe the > sensor could still be bad. How? .... pull the plug > on the top of the sensor. > Then look inside the top of the sensor where the > contacts are.... is there > coolant in there? If there is then the expansion > tank could possibly go dry > but the coolant inside the plug connection could > fool the system by allowing > current to pass through this small amount of coolant > from one of the > contacts to the other....

Right on the point!

> If it's wet in there replace the coolant level > sensor or risk having a > sensor that will not register low coolant.

That's the smallest damage that can result...