Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Dec 2000 11:47:31 -0500
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: new vanagon owner

Congratulations! Sounds like you may have found a good one. I love the red ones. Regarding rust, the only really critical spots are body seams. That you want to fix/stop right away. There are lots of really good rust control products available from Eastwood Company www.eastwoodcompany.com Fixing brakes and alignment first is a good idea. Regarding the head leak, definitely keep the level up (don't forget to add anti-freeze along with the water!). Don't think that I would use the stop leak unless an emergency. I'd be concerned about it plugging up the radiator and heater cores along with the leak. The A/C can wait 'til later, though when you do, consider having the system changed over to R134 refrigerant. The freon that this system was orignally designed to use is becoming unavailable. Last summer is was costing something like $200 per lb. For snow tires, this isn't too uncommon a size. If you check through the list archives for recent messages about snow tires you'll see several possibilities discussed. If you look for light truck (LT) tires rather than passenger car tires, you should do better. For rust prevention, if you can, before the van gets thoroughly coated with salt this winter, get underneath and spray everything that doesn't move with rubberized undercoating. Be sure to get the wheel wells, the corner of the body right behind the wheels, and the front side of the frame rails. If there is any rust in these areas now, fix it with a chemical rust converter first. Finally, try to keep the van as clean as possible. Get the salt and sand off if you can (I know that this is tough when the hose is frozen solid). As you put some miles on your new baby, you'll find other stuff that needs attention. It comes with the territory, these aren't new Toyotas! That's what The List is for. Chances are we have dealt with the same issues many times before.

Good Luck!

Gary ----- Original Message ----- From: ajw <rompu@MHONLINE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2000 5:26 AM Subject: new vanagon owner