Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:58:37 EST
From:         "Paul M. Hillbish" <Sersote@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: new vanagon owner

In a message dated 12/16/00 5:27:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, rompu@MHONLINE.NET writes:

<< It's in pretty excellant condition - barely any rust on it and it's clear that someone really took good care of it for the better part of its existence. I'd like to keep it in as good shape as possible but am sadly completely ignorant of automotive mechanics, so if any of you have any advice on how to best care for my new baby, I am eager to learn. >>

The first step to take would be to get a few manuals. The Bentley manual is the most important in my opinion, but if you have lack of mechanical experience, you may want to start with the Haynes. It's a good idea to have both on hand, but the Haynes is a bit more user friendly and is designed more for the backyard mechanic, whereas the Bentley, is an actual shop manual. There is also the Peter Russek Pocket Mechanics manual, which is pretty much a smaller version of the Bentley. You can pick all of these up at The Bus Depot, or pretty much any of the list vendors.

<<The guy who I bought it from reccommended using Stopleak, but I was told that that was a bad idea and that it would just gum up the engine.>>

I was just recently told by a very trusted VW mechanic that stop leak would be a nightmare for you. I would make an effort to replace whatever is leaking.

--Paul--