Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Dec 2000 01:16:58 -0600
From:         Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: GTI crank seal( no vanagon)
Comments: To: Fred Brittain <vanpire@INTERFOLD.COM>

I would determine that it is in fact the crank seal. The in line VW engines are known for the oil pan gasket leaking at the back of the engine over time. The cast iron block is open on both ends for the crankshaft to be installed. There is two aluminum cover plates on each end that hold the crank seal in place and pick up the gap between the cast for the oil pan to bolt up to. Time and temperature differences in the two metals fatigue the gasket. I have had two engines with this section of gasket (approx. 5 inches long) with 1 inch openings on each end. The leak in this case is usually most visible after the engine is shut off as the oil returns to the pan. It leaves a nice sized puddle of oil on the ground and is quite messy in the back lower section of the engine. This is why you get a crank seal diagnosis (Also big$$) Replacing the oil pan gasket is simple. A little challenging in the area of the leak but can be done on your back in the driveway.

I have never yet had to replace any seals in any of my 5 in lines or any I've had in the past, so my guess is a incorrect diagnosis. The valve cover gaskets can also leak an incredible amount of oil in some strange places.

Both a easily replaced. Just keep the gorilla away when tightening these bolts. Get a Bentley for the torque's and future obvious reasons, and recheck them after the engine has reached operating temperatures.

Let me know how it goes.

Rob