Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:07:31 -0500
From:         Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      engine install almost success

hey all,

first off, thanks so much to everybody who replied to me about installing my first engine into my 90 gl. a very special thanks go out to jason yasment, who drove down two hours to freeze his booty while helping me pull and replace the engines acouple of sundays ago. what a stud! another very special thanks go out to bob donalds of boston engine, for without his superior product and very careful technical support i would never have gotten as far as i have. anyways here goes my questions. today was the final touch day. after putting everything back on the new engine i foolowed boston bobs instructions of checking for oil pressure first before starting the engine. so after topping off all fluids and oil pressure being good, i commenced the first start up of my own engine project. i turn the key and it just kept turning over with out engaging. here is what i think:

1. the gas tank was half full with the gas being almost one year old. so i put in about another 2 gallons of fresh gas along with dry gas and fi cleaner. this was no apparent help immediately.

2. the rotor on my distibutor spins freely with the turn of my hand, although i can feel where it wants to atch and seat. should this happen? the rotor spins as i hand crank the engine though, and is close to TDC. i can not push it down any further than where it is. am i missing something here? in bentley the picture of the rotor on 28.40 shows a spring and retaining spring where the distributor shaft is inserted. as i pull out the shaft for inspection, being careful not to crank the engine as per boston bobs instructions, i see the spring but not the retaining spring is it there or could it have come out with the shaft and got lost with out e noticing?

3. after letting her sit for a bit i tried starting her again, this time she almost started to engage and even sputtered a little, exhaust pipes even got hot showing combustion was taking place and we were almost there. so could it be the old gas, fuel filter gunked up, distibutor (the free spinning does concern me), or am i completely inept to worked on my own van? i want the feeling of self satisfaction of doing my first engine install, what steps should i take to trouble shoot this? thanks for reading