Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:04:12 -0500
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Re: Very dented muffler from Bus Depot
Comments: To: Paul Borghese <paul98@prodigy.net>

> From: Paul Borghese <paul98@PRODIGY.NET> > The muffler now has a series of very large dents. So what do > you guys think? Should I send it back?

The difference between appearance parts and performance parts is in the eye of the buyer. I know guys who would take back a starter for cosmetic reasons. If you want to return the dented (rattling?) muffler it's your choice. But it's Bus Depot's choice to use/re-use what ever packaging material they want. The balance of costs saved and resulting lower prices against the costs of returns is augmented by the environmental impact of adding to the waste stream. (ramble on) In general, the small retailer can get away with reusing shipping/packing materials because the costs saved are more than the costs spent in lack of conformity (can you imagine GM or VW using old boxes for their parts?) Having been in retail for almost twenty years...I am sick of seeing those expanded styrofoam shipping "peanuts" flying down the alley in a stiff breeze. Unlike leaves and newspaper those things won't decay in a matter of months. In many other cultures our newspapers and "throwaway" boxes would spend second and third lives before being discarded. My wife wrapped Christmas presents last night reusing boxes, some now twenty years old...instead of throwing them away, we just pack them up with the holiday decorations for future reuse. As an aside some of my favorite old boxes in the attic are from... the Benjamin pellet gun, our first Macintosh, Yakima rack parts boxes, several ladies hat boxes and a passle of wooden boxes from breweries, bottlers, bike and bullet makers, the most functional award goes to a set of about twenty boxes nested with matching lids (from my wife's pharmacy job) which have been reused for moving us, kids and neighbors. Reduce,recycle,reuse. Just MHO. (ramble off) -- Stephen Steele '91 Caravelle...Hans '84 Westy...Fritz or Sunny? Chillicothe, OH

[text/html]