Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:03:54 EST
From:         John Branstrom <Syncro86VW@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Strange Clutch Problem
Comments: To: Syncro@onelist.com

The clutch on my 86 syncro would not release last week after banging my way out of a snow encrusted parking space here in Chicago. It had been getting hard to shift over the last week or so. I figured the slave and/or master cylinder had gone out.

I flatbed towed the van to my trusted mechanic who replaced the slave and master cylinders. As he test drove the van he said it felt like the clutch was now slipping. He pulled the trans and found the 1 year old clutch very worn (Had him install complete clutch package last year 12/29/99 he's doing all trans work under his 1 year warranty) He installed new clutch disc and checked all other components and on test drive said that it would drive and shift fine then all of a sudden it would be hard to shift and/or it felt as if it was slipping. I questioned him to make sure that they were sending him the correct (heavy duty) clutch disc and that the resurfaced flywheel was within specs. He said both were correct.

The last time I talked to him today he was reassembling the trans once again and getting ready for another test drive. He seems a bit stumped. Can any of you Syncronauts or Tech Gurus help us out here. Glad I'm not paying for a lot of this.

Blitz