Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Dec 2000 08:48:01 -0700
Comments:     Resent-From: Wilson Sweitzer <Wilson.Sweitzer@asu.edu>
Comments:     Originally-From: Wilson Sweitzer <Wilson.Sweitzer@asu.edu>
From:         Wilson Sweitzer <Wilson.Sweitzer@ASU.EDU>
Subject:      shop recommendations in Atlanta

First of all: Merry Christmas, everyone!

2nd: I would really appreciate some shop recommendations on the north side of Atlanta. I'm near Vinings, Sandy Springs, etc. At this point, I would choose quality work over price since I have had some nagging problems that need to get fixed and stay fixed.

3rd: I was hoping that maybe some folks on the list could enlighten me on what might be causing one of these nagging problems.

My van (an 85 GL - 1.9L waterboxer) has been continually threatening to overheat (and has boiled over twice) in the last several months. the typical situation is that the light suddenly starts flashing (the actual temperature reading seems to have nothing to do with it) and the temp guage shoots up to the top. When I check it, the coolant level is usually quite a bit above the max line, but not about to boil over. often, the light will turn off soon after. but this cycle repeats itself. I have driven it hundreds of miles with this situation (most recently from Phoenix to Atlanta). When this happened on the highway, it usually occured after a long downhill stretch and occasionally would stop after an uphill stretch. Both times that it actually boiled over, it occured after I drove on the on the highway for 30+ minutes, ~10 minutes on surface streets, and after I came to a complete stop. Throughout all of this the fan has not turned on at all.

I've had it in the shop repeatedly. they have bled the system, and replaced the thermostat and fan switch. but within 200 miles of each visit to the shop, the problem reoccurred. I assume that I am getting air into the system somehow and i've told the mechanics as much, but since i have very little useful knowledge about vanagons my guess ends there. can anyone offer some advice? I need to get this van back to Arizona in a couple weeks and I'd rather not have the temp light flashing at me for 2000 miles.

I'm off the list now, so please p-mail me.

Thanks a lot and thanks in advance. Happy holidays!

Wilson

85 GL Mesa AZ