Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Dec 2000 22:08:07 +0000
From:         Sam Scholten <scholten@NEWWAVE.NET>
Subject:      Snuffy's dead

3 weeks ago, my '87 with 101K died. I took it from Charleston, WV to Columbus, OH and (in theory) back, using primarily state routes that do not involve steep hills or cruising speeds over 60 mph. The oil and filter were barely 150 miles old.

The departure trip went without a hitch. Never spun the Wasserboxer over 3.5K and never floored the bus to pass anyone (as if). The temperature needle never went over 1/3 of the way to the top except for some downtown rush hour traffic, where the needle almost hit 1/2 and promptly went down after the vehicle started moving again. The heater was always strong, even in the super-chilly Columbus weather that weekend.

The return trip was a different story. Still babying the bus on the way back, with the tach never over 3.5K and the temp needle never over 1/3 of the way up, I noticed a weak cylinder when the bus was under load. I was still able to go another 50 miles taking it easy. After that, the weak cylinder seemed to get temporarily strong again, then the exhaust seemed to sound like a slight leak was opening up. Then... GRRRRRRRR- an extremely loud vibration from the engine, followed by the green death buzzer.

I quickly shut the van down and coasted to the side of the road. I let the motor cool off, even though it never really got hot judging by the hot heater and the temp gauge. Fired up the motor, and when it did decide to turn over, instead of the one loud pinging per rev usually associated with throwing a rod, I heard a continuous softer pinging like a diesel from what seemed like ALL the rods. Whatever the diagnosis, it's fried.

So....

What happened? I suspect the PO sorely neglected the bus, but after talking to folks in town whose buses are averaging 175K on their original motors (or they're lying thru their teeth), I really have to wonder. What on earth could I have possibly done differently on this trip, besides take my girlfriend's Nissan? And, is it possible to just take the motor apart to do the crank and leave everyhting else alone? Also, does anyone have a used but healthy 2.1 that they can part company with?

BIG BIG thanks for ANY advice, Sam