Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:25:46 -0500
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: help! overheating with maple syrup smell

Had a similar situation with our Jetta last winter. It was a freeze up. I had changed coolant earlier in the year, apparently got the mix wrong and the coolant froze in one of the hoses plugging the flow. Big time overheat when the temp was 5 deg outside. Took over an hour for the plug to thaw, then back to normal. Another possibility is a stuck thermostat. The spring in the thermostat will theoretically pull it closed tighter and tighter as the temperature drops. Maybe tight enough to stick. Either of these blocked-flow possibilities would produce another effect: no heat. Were you getting heat? Gary ----- Original Message ----- From: Schmidt To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 8:50 AM Subject: help! overheating with maple syrup smell

I have had a terrible night. How does a vanagon(84) overheat on the coldest day of the decade at normal highway speed? Condition: 65 mph interstate drive- all is fine (usual sudden power loss, poor mpg correctedtwice in 50 miles by shutting off engine for a few seconds) That is not a new problem-just no cure yet. Tonight however, suddenly without warning, the oil light comes on very dimly, followed almost immediately by the temp gauge light blinking brightly. The quick decision was to risk engine life or limb and move an extra half mile(handy exit ramp) and then shut her down. More on this later! By such time, smoke was coming from the rear mainly at the air intakes on the upper body. Dark of night inspection revealed no glaring leaks or fluid loss, coolant level a little lower than usual, oil about a quart low and remedied. I added a little orange coolant but my distilled h20 gallon was frozen solid--mental note to start carrying PREMIXED coolant. The smoke cleared and the motor cooled extremely fast in the wildly cold temps outside. I restarted to see if the topping off of fluids would correct the problem. On restart, the temp gauge light blinked again, the temp climbed, climbed, climbed, didn't quit as fluids circulated and I shut her down as she smoked just a tad. Smelled like MAPLE SYRUP! Now I have seen the coolant at a very low boil in the hot of summer. It didn't bubble any tonight in the cold. Yet the overheating??

Lastly, it seemed to "smoke" mainly from the left side.That side has an older head and gasket unlike the right but got a new temp senser last year. Could this condition be a thermostat frozen up or malfunctioning? Other suggestions appreciated for my DAILY DRIVER. This is not a hobby car but my bread winner- commute(far) to work -stealth camp between shifts until weekends EVERY WEEK OF THE YEAR westy. I towed the vanagon home this morning on a flatbed. Thanks, merry CHRISTmas Jay in Wind-iana...brrrr PS: The westy was not shut down immediately when heating for reasons of safety. There was no shoulder-just a few feet of snow the plow left in place of the shoulder. Personal safety, not convenience, dictated that I had to hit that very close exit. Please no shouda-woulda-coulda on this point. I work in ER/trauma and know where safety ranks. Jay( husband, daddy of 4.) I need it on the road.

[text/html]