Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Dec 2000 21:32:48 -0500
From:         "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: heater core, bushings, etc.

>I have a question about the heater core...I understand I can buy one >fron Bus Depot for about 70$, the local shop wants about 350$ to >install it including the part. Does this seem reasonable?

NO! THIS IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY! Buy the part from the Bus Depot or other vendor of your choice. It is a simple swap. More detailed instructions can be had in the archives, but basically goes like this.

- Unscrew and remove heater cover.

- Disconnect wiring from rear blower.

- Unscrew two screws holding blower/heater assembly to floor.

- Use hose compressing pliers (or "c" clamp and a couple of pieces of wood) and clamp off rear heater hoses to prevent fluid loss.

- Unscrew two screws which secure heater core to housing.

- Unscrew two nuts and bolts which hold heater core to valve assembly.

- Discard old heater core, get new heater core and gasket (for where it attaches to valve).

- Install in reverse order of above.

- You may want to prefill the new heater core with coolant as much as possible before buttoning things up.

- You may want to bleed the cooling system after installing the core. Can't hurt, cheap insurance.

This is really a simple repair that you shouldn't hesitate to try yourself. Take the $280 you save and save it for just one more camping trip next fall.................

Best wishes,

Tony

Anthony L. Mourkas Hampden, Maine, USA 1984 Vanagon Westfalia "Gertrude" 1986.5 Quantum Syncro Wagon <--------- Name this car! 1991 Jetta Eco Diesel "Liesel"