Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:59:04 -0500
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: removing recalcitrant gearbox drain plug.
Comments: To: Geoff Law <geofflaw@TELSTRA.COM>

Geoff,

I've seen lots of tool conconctions involving nuts and bolts, etc. which always seem to work marginally. Do yourself the favor and go to the Bus Depot web site and order:

Transaxle drain plug socket, 3/8 $3.50 part # 5773

BTW, it's 17mm. Now you'll have the right tool for the job.

The fill plug has a tapered thread, so it can be VERY tight.

WD40 sucks as a penetrant. WD = water displacement. That's what it's good for. Get yourself some penetrant like PB Blaster or Kroil. Kroil can be mailordered from Brownell's (brownells.com), which is a gunsmithing supply place. PB Blaster is a most FLAPS.

soak, tap, torque, soak, tap, torque....

-Karl

Karl & Kristina Bloss - Trexlertown, PA '87 Westy Weekender "Bev" - 201K Miles '85 Westy Camper "Fred" - 44K Miles http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw - vanagon@makarov.com PA/NJ/DE/MD area VW bus "group" http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/pavanagon