Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Dec 2000 23:07:48 -0800
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      HELP WANTED - Bus Resource List - Fwd from T2 List
Comments: To: WetWesties <wetwesties@onelist.com>

From Ken Hooper - Listmeister Emeritus - Type2 List

Respond to him please <mailto:bighouse@type2.com>

Subject: [VB] HELP WANTED: Bus Resource List Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 00:07:16 -0600 From: Ken Hooper <bighouse@type2.com> To: type2@type2.com, vintagebus@type2.com

Okay, here is the short version:

Somebody got caught downloading articles off our web site, printing them off, and then selling them on Eb@y as "information packets" and "repair packets". The real author of the articles has put a stop to it now but it's been going on for quite some time.

It was inevitable, really, in fact the surprising thing is that it took this long to happen.

The other surprising thing is that this...er...[vendor] managed to find three different people who would pay him $10.00 for something we will gladly give you for free (and no shipping charges neither). Yeah, the wages of sin is about thirty bucks. Doesn't seem worth it, does it?

But the real puzzler is that the three people who bought this thing didn't know they could find the information on the web, easy and free--they were dealing with a lack of information twice over. First they needed to know how to fix their cars (their gas heaters in this case) and second they needed to know that the information was already there for the asking.

Proposed: We need somebody to maintain and POST REGULARLY a bus resource list. That means a list of sites and a synopsis of what they offer. Hopefully type2.com would make the list but that's not what it's about, there are many outstanding sites--Thom's vintagebus.com, Everett Barnes' thesamba.com, et very cetera. I even heard from Jim Thompson a while ago and his distributor page is still out there. The point is not merely a list of links, it is an edited list of outstanding technical resources posted often.

This needs to be posted to all the VW lists that touch busses (if it's okay with those lists of course) and to the newsgroup, regularly. I would think once a week is not excessive. The important thing is to find somebody who will actually DO it, if you all think it's a good idea. It is notoriously hard to get somebody to follow through on these things.

Note One: Check out vintagebus.com for a new VW auction site that doesn't charge a dime (and probably will take a dim view of plagiarizing our site too). It was written by the rather brilliant Thom Fitzpatrick and it lives at what is surely the busiest bus site on the planet. Three good reasons to list.

Note Two: This message is not intended to start a thread on the virtues/horrors of auction sites, especially eB@y. Not allowed on type2 at all, restricted on vintagebus, deadly dull in any case, bah.

--Ken Greasy Fingers Smearing Shabby Clothes type2.com Webmaster