Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:41:08 EST
From:         Chuck Mathis <CMathis227@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Porsche Engine? - Not Exactly!
Comments: To: rodwreck@se-tel.com

Rod,

What the owner is doing is tweaking the timing to get the engine to start. While this in itself doesn't indicate any serious engine problems it does show that the current owner is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. If you are in love with the van (we usually are) get a competent mechanic to look it over, do a compression check, inspect hoses etc., to make sure the caveman hasn't done any permanent damage or at least give you a good idea of where the problem areas are. If the engine is in good shape the van may be worth his asking price (you still may have a lot of past maintenance items to catch up on). If it's not and you intend to buy it and swap engines you should be aware of the costs involved. Take a trip to Boston Bob's web site to check the cost of a good rebuilt wasserboxer (around $1700 and up) and visit Tico's site for a good conversion cost ($3700 and up).

Good luck.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy -- 'Roland'