Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:09:01 -0500
From:         Brian Honan <bhonan@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      WINTER COOLANT LED TO PROBLEMS

hello list, On Christmas eve my van blew a hose and the coolant sensor failed to tell me that I ran out of coolant. I had blown a hose a few days before and the sensor did work. I believe that I have a bad thermostat because I had a small leak from the housing that I was foolishly putting off fixing. I filled the system (bleeding it the best I could) the next day and noticed that it did not suck the coolant from the filling expansion tank. The inside expantion tank was empty I figured it still needed coolant from when I fixed the blown hose. I let it idle a while I loaded Christmas presents and all seemed OK. Not far from my house I loose heat, then going up a hill ( I am taking it easy ) the OIL LIGHT comes on ! I pull over the first chance I get and the van is running fine.

The engine had allot of steam coming off it and another blown hose in the engine compartment. I decided to have my brother pick me up and have it towed it is to cold to fix it on the spot and I don't know how bad it is. When I went to have it towed it was dead, the batery may be dead.

So my Question to anyone who may be still reading is did I kill it? I am going to change the thermostat and housing and the hose that broke and hope I didn't blow the heads. Is there any connection to the not cranking at all ? And when I do put the system back together should I have it pressure tested?

Happy Holidays