Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:30:51 -0800
From:         Bjorn Ratjen <Bjorn@IGLIDE.NET>
Subject:      roadside adventure (long)

Sometimes things just happen somehow and today was one of those days:

I drove my Syncro to town (Victoria, about 50 kms away) to do several errands and get some parts for my Jetta Diesel to TD conversion. (This is just a practice session for my TDI conversion.) The exhaust of the Jetta consists of three parts. I needed part one and two because the were patch-welded at their junction and did not fit very well with the new TD engine. So I drove by my car recycler and he promised me to put the parts outside of the gate for me to pick up when I returned after his opening hours.

I did my errands and began my return trip when i noticed that a guy was waving for help with an apparently broken down car at the side of the 6 lane highway. It was dark and cold. I stopped and offered help. He had a flat tire and needed a car jack. His car was an older run down Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon. The vanagon jack was of not much use for this application. So he suggested picking up some parts of fallen trees and construct some levers in order to lift the car. He was not worried about superficial damage. He - a 50ish man - climbed down the fairly steep and icy embankment slipping and sliding and managed to get a large piece of a tree. I helped him but in the end the wood and our forces were not quite strong enough.

I finally suggested to go to the next exit where I needed to go to a Home Depot store anyway. Alright, he jumped in and my Vanagon which would not start due to lack of electrical power. The road was uphill and I had parked in front of him so there was no way of pushing the van. For a moment he tried to stop another car. It is interesting how alone you can feel with all the people in their noisy cars rushing by.

For a moment we had considered calling a tow truck but he mentioned that he had never used one so he did not want to start now. I guess that's pride.

He remembered that he had a jumper cable. Mine was in my garage at home. His was not long enough. He finally decided to rip his cable apart and put the leads in a sequence to connect the plus ports of the two batteries. Earlier in the day he had found a strong iron rod which he now used to connect his battery ground to my trailer hitch. He had to put on gloves because it was heating up so much. After a couple of tries we actually succeeded to get my Vanagon started.

The next stop was Home Depot where I wanted to buy some flooring which was on sale. In the meantime he struck up a conversation with a female employee who lend him her car jack. This meant of course driving him back to the car. I stood buy and helped him lift the car to get the jack underneath. He took a pick axe out and placed it behind his front tire to stop the car from rolling backwards. The tire was changed successfully. As he drove off he felt a bump as he was driving over the pick axe and stopped again. I handed him the tool and wished him good luck. (This time I had parked behind his car.)

On my way home I drove by the wrecker and noticed that they had put the second and third segment of the exhaust against the fence. In the process they had cut through the connection between first and second parts which I had needed.

Just before my driveway I noticed that my alternator light began to flicker. I think I know the culprit of my electrical problem now: the brushes on the alternator. They can wait until tomorrow.

Cheers,

Björn

Björn Ratjen Mill Bay, B.C.

1987 Vanagon Syncro est alia (self camperized, TDI wannabe) 1978 VW Bulli (self camperized) 1995 Passat TD Wagon (hers) 1970 VW Beetle (son's) 1991 Jetta TD (ours)