Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Dec 2000 16:36:08 +0000
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel pressure
Comments: To: JCarp2001@aol.com

Hi J,

Essentially what happens is the fuel system is supposed to stay pressurized after the fuel pump runs for its intial second or so. If a check valve is bad,fuel pressure can't build up and then the fuel coming through the injectors isn't atomized and hard starting results.

There are four injectors, each must seal, and two check valves, one at the fuel pump and one at the pressure regulator. The check valves are likely to fail, with no particular preference to either one.

You can trouble shoot with a pressure gauge at the tee fitting used to bleed air from the system remove the screw, BTW be aware that gas may squirt a little here; if it does it means the system had pressure on it, but run the test anyway. Have a helper turn on the key, watch the gauge for pressure it should hold; if it doesn't position a pair of needle nose pliers on the hose leaving the pressure regulator, turn the key and pinch the hose closed immediately after the pump stops. If the gauges holds pressure or the loss of pressure is slowed the regulator is the problem. If not pinch the hose just before the Tee fitting. If you still don't have pressure try pinching both just after the pump stops running. If this hold pressure both check valves have failed which was my particular case. I might note that my van only had the large metal fuel filter on it after the fuel pump. I've since learned that a "pre" filter is supposed to be installed before the pump, I guess to keep trash from ruining our check valves. I still haven't put this pre filter on, but it's on my list.

I have "restored" a pressure regulator to functioning by pinching the hose from it to the gas tank and watching the pressure on the gauge go to about 75 psi then releasing the pinch. Doing this a couple of times and my regulator worked until I replaced it a couple of weeks later. I'm told that this clears some obstruction on the valve.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller, 91 Carat.

JCarp2001@aol.com wrote: > > Mark, I am having similar problem, only when the eng. is cold. > I prime the fuel system three times, and it starts just fine. > Do you think I should put a pressure gauge in the system? > Thanks for your help, > John C. > SLC, UT