Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:32:28 -0500
From:         Little Bear <naiu@MEDIAONE.NET>
Subject:      Hard Start Fixed

After much trial and tribulation I ended up finding outmy problem with the hard start on an 85 Westfalia. IF you remember correctly after replacing my fuel pump and filter and fuel lines underneath I had experienced some problems trying to start the vehicle. I ended up taking off the distributer cap thinking that perhaps moistuer had accumulated there and sprayed down with wd-40 to displace any water (geeze if that did not fix another problem wohoo!!; it fixed the problem that I had with a complete power drop in the motor as if it where cutting out). This though did not fix the problem. HMMM?? THe next morning before a trip Going around the vehicle just making sure everything seemed mechanically fine I smelled a strong gas smell.. Oops checking under the vehicle and seeing that a puddle of gas had accumulated underneath.. Ekk I must have not tightened up one of the clamps on the fuel filter enough. Well after reagusting the fuel hose and clamp it still leaked. Ended up pullng off filter and putting back on old one. Wallaaa the new fuel fitler was cracked hence my problem of starting. The problem was that since my filter was before the pump that it had to reprime the pump every time I would restart. After this there is no need to reprim the pump. So now on to the leaking power steering rack..

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help..

Namaste Stephen Fry 85 Westy