Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:26:30 -0500
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: New beetle?

Well I guess you miss the point....it's not going to happen as far as VW bringing in the old beetle to the US. Face facts, the old beetle was dropped from the US market because it was an ancient design that no longer met emission standards or safety standards...plus the US market turned its back on the beetle. US sales reached a peak in 1968 when 390,000 were sold in the US in less than 10 years that number dropped to 12,000. In fact, the only reason why the beetle is still manufactured and sold in Mexico is that the Mexican government dropped the vehicle purchase tax (approx. 33%) on the beetle.

Heresy you say? No, just facing the facts. I currently own a 98 New Beetle as well as a 56 Beetle. The '56 has been owned by me since 1975. My first car, in 1969 was a 1957 beetle. I've owned tons of beetles, ghias, type 3s and a myriad of type 2s. Each car has had its own personality and also its own faults. I still can't get decent heat out of my '56! There's nothing wrong with the heater channels, thermo-ring, heater boxes...face it the heat sucks. But I wouldn't trade that car for the world.

Neither would I trade my 98 New Beetle. Its as fun to drive as my '56, it turns just as many heads...but I feel safer in the 98, I can take it on long distance trips, etc.

The NB is every bit a beetle as the old beetle. Its unfortunate that there are a number of VW-snobs out there who have this notion that if it ain't aircooled it ain't a VW. Its been going on for years...first they poo-poo'd the bay-window busses, then the Rabbits/Golfs, then the Vanagon, and of course the Eurovan....yet for most who piss, moan and object, I've yet to hear them make an actual a comparison of old v. new based on actual personal experience...very rarely has anyone said..yes I've driven a NB and quite frankly it sucks...all I hear is the naysayers saying 'how dare" they sell it as a Beetle.....as the old US make Packard used to say in the 20s and 30's..."Ask the man who owns one"

The Beetle is what has saved VW's ass in the US. VW stuck its neck out and brought out a car with every bit of verve, fun, style and a bit of a tweek-in-the-nose-to-the-establishment like the original. And look who is now following VW...Chrysler with its pseudo-pie wagon and Ford with its retro-Tbird.

BTW, when would VW EVER sell a Dodge minivan???

IMHO, Ric 98 New Beetle 56 Beetle 87 Westfalia 90 Cabriolet

At 06:14 PM 12/31/00 -0500, you wrote: >I have a problem with it being called a beetle. Having owned 3 in my life >(and would buy another if they still made them) I take objection to them >calling a completely different model the same name. Can you Imagine them >sticking a Vanagon name on a Dodge minivan and selling you one? > >Bill Hayeslip >88 GL >Pgh., Pa > > >On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:25:27 -0600 Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET> writes: > > I can't believe what I have been reading here, on folks bum rapping > > the > > new beetle. > > It is an improved model of the most popular vehicle ever built, and > > no > > one has anything good to say about it? > > It's faster > > It's safer > > It's bigger, > > It's got heat > > It's got A/C > > And it is fun to drive. > > Who said you couldn't take a trip in it, without being butt naked? > > You couldn't take much with you in the original Bugs either! ( Had a > > 69 > > sedan, and a 73 Super Beetle rag top.) > > In this new world of the "smaller, the better", I feel that the new > > Bug > > is a good value, and a neat, decent handling vehicle. > > > > Thanks, Ferdinand > > > > ______________ > > |[ ] [ ] [ ]\ > > | | | | > > ||-(())----(())-| > > > > Terry 85 GL