Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:00:39 -0500
From:         John Smith <johns3539@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: cold weather leaks

Yep, happend to me this last weekend too, as I drove to the frozen tundra of Wisconsin from DC. Camped in below zero weather, woke up, checked my VW's vitals, and found a very tiny puddle of coolant under the engine. Started it up with no problems, and made it to my destination with no other leaks, overheating, or any other engine problems for that matter. I've had this happen to me more than once, so I suspect the gaskets are in need of replacing again.

I have one other question regarding this topic that I haven't been able to find in the archives... This is the third time this is happened to my VW (Once with the previous owner, Twice now with myself), and each time it's only been the right side of the engine that has had problems, and never the left side. In over 125,000 miles, the left side has never given me any trouble. Is this typical in the 83.5-85 years? Is there something less expensive (i.e. replacing just the right cylinders) I can do instead of replacing the whole engine? I suppose after 240,000 miles on the original 83.5 1.9l engine, It just might be time.

Thanks everyone,

John 83.5 Westy