Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:17:06 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Lighting options - again.
Comments: To: Craig Spaeth <spaeth@GORGE.NET>

was a little slow on the steep parts, but not painfully so. Anyway the lighting is so pathetic that I may end up doing something sooner rather than later. Between the South African set up and the European set up which puts out more light? I am under the impression that they are both similar in cost. About $300 for the South African and about $350 for the European set up? Do they both use easily replaceable

if you ask me, and i admit to being biased :) , the south african way is 'better'. why? cause i sort kinda semi went that way: i swapped out my rectangular headlights on my 87 camper and my 88 bus to the round 7" headlights (and grill) of the 1980-1985 vanagons. the 7" headlight is easily available at any auto parts store or wal-mart or even some gas stations ... should you break one and need a quick replacement. what i did was a bit more expensive ... i got some Hella Vision Plus halogen headlights. MUCH better lighting! i can actually SEE at night with these things (and it gets worse, trying to see at night, when you get older, like over 50). anyway, the new grill and new headlight buckets cost me about $200 from a dealer (camelback vw in phoenix, az, by mail order; 1-800-876-5199. ask for mike lewis), then the headlights themselves cost about $45 EACH! <well, i didn't say they were cheap :( > they use the standard H4 halogen bulb.

the Vision Plus high beam is adequate for the speeds i choose to drive at night (about 60-65), but you might choose the south african setup for more high beam lighting. i've heard that the inner/smaller lights are the same as the 5" lights on earlier model bmw's.

anyway, the 2nd bus i converted, i went to the junkyard and got the grill (had a small crack in it ...fixed it with epoxy) and the buckets for $75. :)

how easy is it to change over? really quite simple: - remove the rectangular headlight grill. - remove the rectangular headlight buckets and headlights. - cut the wires to the headlights (leave yourself as much slack in the wires as you feel comfortable with ...that is, cut 'em up kinda close to the old headlights) - solder the new/junkyard bulb connector (you DID remember to get the round headlight bulb connector, right? they are NOT the same as the rectangular headlight connectors!) to the wires and heat-shrink tubing protect it. now, here's the gotcha: the wires are all colored exactly the same ... white, yellow and brown. but!! on the rectangular headlights, there are TWO brown wires .. the ground path wires. no big deal, just connect them together when you solder to the brown wire of the bulb connector. :) just match up the other colors and you're done. - now, there's one other little gotcha: on the rectangular headlight bucket, there is one of the five gripper-thingies that hold the headlight grill in place: those little 'screws' that you only turn 90 degrees. it's built into the bucket. on the round headlight bucket, it ain't there ... it's on a tab, setting off separately from the bucket. so guess who gets to make the L-shaped tab and screw it into the opening and fit the gripper-thingie into the tab? yup... you. :) it's not 'hard', but it does take some familiarity with tools that some folks might not have. and you do have to be very careful to line up the position of the tab with the grill when you're installing the tab. there's also a little tab that you need to remove ... the rectangular bucket needs it for one of the mounting screws, and the round headlight bucket doesn't need it. and i think i recall that the tab got in the way of the round headlight grill. anyway, it's not a big deal to drill out the rivet.

would i do it again? yup. you betcha! :) i actually like the looks of the round headlights better ... makes the bus look more 'friendly'. ;) but then , i grew up with round-headlighted buses, so i'm kinda goofy anyway. :)

>down highway 84 into Portland it is just flat dangerous. Especially in driving snow or dense fog >where using the brights makes it really hard to see.

ah, now fog lights! :) that's another story. the best ones i've found are the Cibie Oscar Plus fog lights ... unfortunately, they are rather LARGE and somewhat hard to find. the best place i've found is http://www.seriousauto.com (click on lighting, then on Oscar+) where a pair of the lights costs about $160. but these are 7" round foglights ... yup. same size as the round headlights! :) and they reach out about 650 feet (200 meters) in the night and fog. you can't mount them under the bumper, so on top is the only place. however, even just that little bit lower than the headlights makes a lot of difference ... i wired mine up to be connected to the parking lights (as a trigger to the relay), so i can run on just the parking lights (and taillights in the rear) and the fog lights by clicking the headlights switch only to the first position ... this drastically cuts down on the amount of glare from the headlights that comes back in via the windshield, when driving in snow or fog or misting rain. and the fog lights reach out just about as far as the normal headlights ... almost. but since i drive slower in those conditions, it doesn't matter. :) now, these things are large and somewhat heavy. so mounting needs some reinforcement ... like large washers, top and bottom, on the 80-87 bumpers, and some aluminum sheeting (or large washers) on the 88-91 plastic bumpers.

what i'd also recommend is a smaller rectangular fog light on the REAR bumper, controlled by a switch on the dash. this is for a backup light when in deep dark forest. you'd be amazed at how much better you can see with these things. :)

a bright red rear fog light, for really bad dense fog or snow, is also a good thing, but a decent one is hard to find nowadays. probably the easiest and cheapest one is the Hella one for the Porsche 911. it's small and unobtrusive and only about $30. i have the Cibie 35 5" round one, and you kinda have to be careful closing the rear hatch or you'll hit your fingers on the light .. the clearance to the hatch is that close. :( but it's BIG and it's BRIGHT! anybody that hits me from the rear in fog will have to be drunk or just plain stupid! :) <which they probably will be anyway ...>

anyhoo, them's my recommendations. i'd like one of the south african setups as well, but haven't actually SEEN one in person, so i'm waiting on that one. and if i swap to the 1980-1985 headlights, i can always add the south african ones later ... just by adding the grill and the inner headlights.

hope it helps. good luck! joel