Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:34:47 -0800
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sound Insulation & Air conditioner
Comments: To: Leaf <chemistre@YAHOO.COM>

I do. I did this to my scirocco over the summer.\ No Westy specific help tho... Will be hitting the Westy next summer. I think I will only be doing the engine compartment top and up by the front seats.

You need to buy a heat gun. It looks and acts like an industrial hair dryer. ($20 or so) You should also buy some Spray Adhesive. 3M is the best, but is ex$pen$ive. cheaper stuff is available from WalMart. Once you get the area cleared and cleaned, spray the adhesive on the surface. Then apply the dynamat(ish) stuff. Then spend the next 20 minutes with the heat gun molding the material to the area. It gets quicker as you go...

It would be best to do this in the summer when the asphalt based sound deadener will be more malleable, but if you are determined to do it now, it'll just take extra time.

Yes - it is worthwhile. Just keep track of all the screws. I still haven't put the 'rocco back together completely ;)

--- Leaf <chemistre@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Hello all, > > I just bought a bunch of "Dynamat"-like sound > insulating material and I plan on installing it into > my '84 Westy in the near future. It sticks to the > sheet metal and reduces vibration and noise. This > is > going to require me to pull the entire interior from > the van including cabinets, fridge, sink, seats and > all carpeting and stuff. Has anyone ever attempted > this? Does anyone have any suggestions for making > this less painful? I think the reduction in road > noise (I hear on average about 3 dB) will be well > worth the pain.

===== Mark Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean that anyone wants to hear it

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/