Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:47:00 -0800
From:         Karen Olson <kdosmm@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      followup: won't start, 1984

Thanks to all who replied to my "won't start, 1984 Vanagon!"

I did spray some starter fluid into the intake boot, the black plastic piece between the air filter housing and the throttle housing, only to discover a crack that allowed the starter fluid to flow out.

Does anyone have an extra one of these "intake boots," OR advise on how I might seal a crack on it? Epoxy? Silicone?

I did finally get the engine to start just now, after several days. Since I thought it may well be flooded, I pulled the fuel pump relay, and it eventually started and ran for several seconds, burning off the fuel from flooding.

I replaced the fuel pump relay and tried to start it again, only to apparently flood it again.

Finally, after alternatively flooding, then removing the relay and burning off excess fuel, I got it to start and keep running.

Any ideas what underlying problems I might be having?

I am going to warm it up and do another compression test. It tested quite low in freezing conditions, before Xmas when it first would not start. I was beginning to worry that my engine was worn to the point of, too little compression to start.

Another thought was fuel line freeze up somewhere, and that it started today because of warmer outdoor weather, but if this were the case, how could I have had too much fuel causing flooding?

Thanks again!

Scott in Idaho

1984 Vanagon 1985 Trooper 1988 Trooper