Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 2001 03:12:13 -0500
From:         Warren Chapman <tallsound@MY-DEJA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Suburu/Golf debate

I can't speak to resale value. I may never sell my converted van. I drove both engines before deciding on the Subaru. Originally I wanted an all German van, but even more I wanted more GO power. I drove both engines (also a 5 cyl Audi) before deciding on the Subaru. I wasn't at all impressed with the normally aspirated 2.0L Golf motor. I perceived little or no power increase over my wasserboxer. I was somewhat suprised and very impressed with the 2.2L Subaru, so chose the latter.

I still find the possibility of the 1.8T VW/Audi (turbo) engine very intriguing but I have a Westy and I understand this engine will not fit under the rear hatch without modification.

I'm very happy with the Subaru (although only just finished the conversion so not many test miles yet) Substantially more low end torque and acceleration. Can now climb long grades in 4th at 70mph.

I did the job myself, including the wiring, but would not do it again. The choice comes down to your wallet and the value of your free time to you and your family. I could afford to hire someone but wanted to do it myself for the experience. The wiring is a tedious but not difficult job. You can now hire it done by someone else (David Marshall at Fastforward now does the job). I would go for it.

Also, in my opinion, the Subaru kit needs more development for Syncros. Although Kennedy engineering has a new shorter oilpan about ready for delivery, currently there is no solution in the KEP kit for re-installing the Syncro skid plate. Others are developing a solution which will probably be available in a month or so.

Hope some of this info is helpful. You may also want to check out the registry portion of the site below for feedback from other Subaru converters with more miles than mine.

http://www.cycoactive.com/urabus/

Another source of info is the SubaruVanagon list:

http://www.egroups.com/group/subaruvanagon

Good Luck

Warren Chapman