Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 2001 23:16:44 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Single-disc CD players & component locations

>While looking through the stereos at BestBuy in Pittsburgh, I used their in- >store computer to help me pick a single-CD in-dash receiver.

I wonder how many people have died because some driver was messing around trying to chance CDs on the move. Cassettes were not so bad to change, but even then could capture your attention fatally. Needing careful handling, manually chsnging CDs with a single-slot player is a big no-no. Get your passenger to do it, or else stop and change. Why not fit a changer? Safe and really convenient. Even 2 changers, get 20 discs to play with.

I have one 10-disc changer bought used, and will probably get another. I have yet to figure out where they'll go...maybe under a back seat, up out of sight, or under the left front (passenger) seat, where I'll probably also put the Kenwood amp (so where'll the jack go, you ask? Under a back seat, or in a bin fitted to the left B-pillar in front of the sliding door). The changer could even go overhead...

Headunit I want disguised...in fact I don't want ANY stereo bits visible at all. I may make up a fiberglass dashtop enclosure and put the headunit there, with a flip-dwn door. Make it white to reflect heat, and put the radar/laser detector/jammer in there too. This gets it as high as possible, closer to driving line-of-sight (safety again). Overhead is also a possibility.

Problem with the stick-on remote (it's a Sony) is that it advertises "Oi! There's a stereo in this vehicle! Steal it!" But it's probably too complicated for me to remember what buttons control what, and I'll end up leaving it out.

I don't know where I'll put speakers, when I get them. I may make panels and fit them under the dash; save cutting up the doortrims and get slightly better directionality. The rear speakers are on either side of the engine hatch, right where they are most useless. might as well be in the engine bay. Don't know where I'll relocate them.

Subwoofer...in a particleboard box stuffed under a back seat, disguised as a cardboard box!

These ideas are all provisional, as the bus is stored in another city, and i don't have it available to figure these out for sure.

Where do others have their aftermarket stereo components fitted?

Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand VW & mollusc nut 1984 VW Caravelle (currently SVX engine; waiting for a Porsche trans) 1985 Mitsubishi Galant Sigma 2.0 (FWD), for sale 1986 CE80 Toyota Corolla 1.8DX diesel (extaxi) 1989 CE96 Toyota Corolla 1.8DX diesel wagon 1989 CT170 Toyota Corona Select 2.0 diesel (taxi)