Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 2001 17:36:31 -0000
From:         Phaedra Savage <phaedrasavage@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Saludos de San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato!

Hola Listees, Three weeks of sun, surf, shrimp, & dark beer was enough (for a while). In Sayulita, when the dark rum, specifically Bacardi Anajo, was dubbed Vitamin R, I knew it was time to roll up my tent & move on. Eight dollars a liter, by the way, for the best aged Bacardi.

I write from San Miguel de Allende. I arrived several days ago to reclaim Juba, my African Gray parrot, taken in by kind friends when he was refused re-entry last year by US Customs. He is saucy & sleek & ordering around my dog as usual. San Miguel, a colonial gem of Mexico, one of the grand cities built on the wealth of silver, has become far too colonized by Americans & Canadias to suit me. When the streets are no longer filled with papaya-laden donkeys & handsome vaqueros riding into town on horseback, the place is "gone".

In a day or so I head for the state of Veracruz & the colonial/university city of Jalapa, where I intend viewing the Olmec heads in the fine museum of anthropology there. After that, quien sabe?

Rumor has it that some of you are suffering a visciously cold winter-- to those of "you" I can only say that I am doing my damndest to attone. My 85 Westy is running fine so far, so full of heart is my lovely old girl, tho she did throw her last shoe, I mean hubcab, yesterday. These cobblestone roads & topes are murder on vehicles over about 5 mph.

When south of the border, I make it a point to tune out all news of the outside world, but neverthe less, it seems likely that the evil empire does, in fact, have a new "leader." Madre de Dios...The lesser of two evils has finally reached synergy.

I miss you all, despite the rousisng good time I am having here. It has been a gas hearing from some of you derelicts pmail. Keep em coming! Ron Bloomfield--que tal? Karl Wolz--que pasa? Dan Schmitz--sorry I was rushed & unable to clink glasses on my way out. Bill Davidson--are you back on the ice? It has been a please to get pmail from some of you, those who are still speaking to me, that is. Get those vanagons out of mothballs & put them to their highest & best use, volks!!!

Viva! Phaedra