Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:43:15 -0800
From:         Leaf <chemistre@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sound Insulation & Air conditioner
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>

Hello,

The "Bulley" page is where I got the idea. The stuff I got is called "B-Quiet" (http://www.b-quiet.com/) and it is sold in canada, but I found it on ebay (with FREE shipping!!) :) This stuff is pretty heavy I guess, so the free shipping was a major deciding factor. I bought about 135 square feet ($144) which should cover the van with several layers. I also got a couple of cans of "Noise Killer" spray for the hard to reach spots.

I'm not sure if I'll do the whole fiberglass heat insulation deal, but some of the NASA insulation will probably go in as well.

Thanks for all the comments suggestions so far. I plan on stripping the van as soon as the stuff gets in. Since I'm pulling the cabinets out, it will give me access to the windows to do the tinting as well :)

later, Leaf~

--- Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA> wrote: > Hi, > > I did a "Bulley-like" make-over to my van (82 westy) > this last summer. I > stripped out the interior, fixed the beginings of > some seam rust behind the > fridge, and insulated all the body panels for sound > and heat. > > Instead of Dynamat (which was/is too expensive) I > used a roofing material > called "progard" (made by Emco). Its an > "plasticized" asphalt compostion, > 1/16th inch thick, self adhesive on one side and > with a blue polyethlyene > layer on the other side. The roll was 65 X 3 feet, > cost Can$70. Used a lot > in areas where ice damns (on the eaves) are a > problem...ie. East coast. > Harder to find out here on the wet coast, "Ken's > roofing supplies" in > Victoria was where i found it. > > It was quite easy to apply, although cutting it up > did make my scissors and > utility knife sticky, and I could lay up 3 or 4 > layers quickly. Initially > (and this was done when the weather was warm) there > was an asphalt smell, > but when the van was finished (including fiberglass > insulation and vapour > barrier) the smell was gone. > > It sure does make the body panels "dead". Road noise > has been redusced and > the van was cooler in the summer and now is warmer > in the winter. > > Alistair > > > > > on 4/1/2001 6:53 AM, Keith Adams at > keith_adams@TRANSCANADA.COM wrote: > > > Did you guys manage to find a good price on > Dynamat? From what I can > > recall, this stuff is really expensive per square > foot, and I've been > > ogling over GMBulley's creative use of other > materials (although some of > > them ain't cheap either). I just haven't had a > chance to go to my local > > autobody supply store and see what they have for > sound damping > > materials. I just know that the Dynamat is really > expensive at the > > stereo shop! > > > > Keith Adams > > Calgary, Alberta, Canada > > 1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia "Roxy" > >