Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 2001 20:21:04 -0600
From:         Rich Propsom <Rich@PROPSOM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Suburu/Golf or a transverse engine anyone?

Although Golf and Subaru both have distinct but different advantages, usually low initial cost vs. higher power, has anyone ever seen or considered installing a transverse engine in the back. Now most of us see transverse engines in front wheel drive vehicles, but what would prevent their use in the rear?

Advantages I see: 1. readily available in a variety of sizes and hp. 2. have integral transaxle which is sized to engine, eliminating some vanagon transmission concerns. 3. would move weight nearly directly over rear wheels.

The major disadvantage to me would be engine access and it could also require some space loss under the back seat. There might be some service access issues and certainly a learning curve as to what engine fits best as well as some engine support issues. But as a consolation, you would probably have the ability to gain some cargo space behind the engine near the rear hatch.

Any thoughts on this type of transformation. Has anyone ever done it or heard of it done. I have heard of some putting a mid engine in and a normal axle in the back but this would make it a impractical vehicle. Of course a transverse transformation would require water cooling but I think most swaps end up using water cooling as air cooling has significant hp limitations.

If possible any ideas which engine/transaxle might work best?