Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:46:22 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Suburu/Golf debate
Comments: To: phil stanhope <swellmaster@HOTMAIL.COM>

Oh boy! A debate - I love these! I’ll try to keep it under a 1000 words! :)

As many of you may already know I started my home based business, Fast Forward, around the Volkswagen and Audi Inline Four Cylinder conversion. As many of you may not know as of January 1st we are now selling the KEP parts for the Subaru conversion - basically because most people have already talked themselves into it! I have driven both motors and both kits have their pros and cons. My first choice is still the inline engines, but the Subaru isn't bad.

The inline offers many advantages. We don't recommend anything under 1.8L is displacement. We sell more kits that will have 1.8L engines that 2.0L engine about a 3:1 ratio - so I think more people out there are looking for INEXPENSIVE and RELIABLE engines than anything else.

VIBRATION I have heard a lot of people say that the I4s are prone to vibration. I think the 50-degree kits are prone to vibration due to the lack of choice in motor mounts. We mount our engines at a 15-degree angle using rubber mounts from the Audi 80 in the same configuration that Audi still uses in the A4 Sedan. Our Syncro has a 268-degree cam installed in it, which makes the 850-RPM idle a little bumpy. Looking at the engine at idle you can see it move around a little. Sitting in the driver seat you would never know the engine is one due to the complete lack of vibration - even in the back seat everything is fine. There are also none of the 3000ish RPM vibrations that plagued the Eurospec conversion. So lack of smoothness is not an issue with our I4 kits.

POWER Both the 1.8L and 2.0L engines offer respectable power outputs at the RPMs where the original wasserboxer peaks are. Meaning that the transmission gear ratios are perfectly matched to the inline four-cylinder engines. All I4 engines have more horsepower than the 2.1 boxer engines and almost as much torque (3% less in the 1.8L). This is the main reason why people go for the 1.8L engine as it most closely matches the 2.1 for power. Subaru engines are designed to make their power at the higher mid 4000-RPM range. For people wanting more power a 2.0L can be upped to a very reliable 130 to 135hp with the installation of a simple camshaft. This will push the HP and torque peak up a few hundred RPM but not to the extent of the Subaru engines. The 130hp 260 cams that we sell are C.A.R.B. legal.

ENGINE POWER (HP) TORQUE (FT/LBS) 1.9 WBX 82@4800 105@2600 83-85 VAN 2.1 WBX 90@4800 117@3200 86-92 VAN 1.8 I4 105@5400 114@3800 DIGIFANT 2.0 I4 115@5400 122@3200 CIS-Motronic 2.2 Legacy 130@5600 137@4400 OBD-1 Subaru

CALIFORNIA LEGAL *Both* the Subaru engine (OBD-1 only) and ALL the VW I4 engines are C.A.R.B. legal. In order for both engines to be C.A.R.B. legal a few simple rules have to be followed.

- The engine must come from a car as old or newer than the Vanagon you are installing it into. - The engine must be from a California legal car. - All emission equipment MUST be used. - All engine warning lights and electronics must be used.

After the engine is installed in your Vanagon you must take it to a referee station where you will have your Vanagon reclassified as the donor car and you will have to pass emission regulations the same way the donor car would have to from that point on.

COST Inline Four cylinder engines are inexpensive and plentiful. The 1.8L in our 84 Westie cost us $250 USD for the complete engine. 2.0L Audi engines can be had for $500 USD for a complete engine. Campbell Nelson in WA state quotes $900 USD for an Audi 2L and $600 USD for a VW 1.8L. 2.2L Legacy motors are $1300 USD.

MECHANIC FRIENDLY The inline four-cylinder engines are VW mechanic friendly - the local VW dealer doesn't mind working on our kits as they can plug their VAG 1552 computer into the engine and diagnose any problems with it. They have told me they will not work on a Subaru equipped Vanagon that we convert. The Subaru dealer has the same concern. Lots of private mechanics are very experienced with the Golf and Jetta motors and they are very easily trouble-shooted even when installed in a Vanagon. Subaru mechanics are less common, at least in this area of the country. If you are going to install a Subaru engine you will be the one maintaining it!

GROUND CLEARANCE The I4 engines have as much ground clearance as a boxer engine. In fact Syncro owners can re-install their rear skid plate in its original position. The Subaru engine will result in a 4 to 5" loss in ground clearance due to the low-slung oil pan and exhaust system. Last work from KEP is they are still working on the oil pan problem, but have yet to really tackle the exhaust problem.

ENGINE COVER The I4 kit *DOES* require an engine cover modification - with the 1.8L and 2.0L Audi engines this is a 2.5 to 3" box that you have to put on top of your cover in order to clear the intake manifold and throttle valve. Some people have gotten this down to 2" by modifying the throttle linkage on the throttle valve. The BIGGEST issue people have with this is the bed in the back of their Weekender or Westfalia. NO PROBLEM! We stock bed hinges that lift the bed 4" in the bed position and 0" in the seat position. No lump in the mattress, no cutting of the mattress - instead a nice, usually plywood, false floor can be built enabling you to have a hard surface to set the mattress on and provide much needed additional storage for blankets which you don't need until you fold down your seat! Subaru - no deck lid mods are required, which is nice!

WIRING If you feel you can't do the wiring for you engine - we can do it for you. Volkswagen or Subaru!

As I said in the introduction to this email, we do sell both conversion kits and they both have their merits and problems. The biggest fault of the I4 conversion kit is the engine cover modification. The biggest fault of the Subaru conversion kit is the low oil pan and exhaust system. ALL engine conversions present a trade off of some sort - there is no exception to that rule!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 mailto:info@fastforward.ca http://www.fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

• Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions • Transporter, Unimog and Iltis Sales • European Lighting for most Audi and Volkswagen models

Does any one know which is the better of the two conversions? The VW golf inline 4 motor probably has a better re-sale value(same brand). The Suburu is more similar to the pancake style waserboxer, but the six feet of electronic wiring looks like a nightmare.

I could be totally wrong on the suburu.

Phil 84' Westy 145K miles with no coolant leak YET!