Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:25:43 -0800
From:         Paolo <got_art@TELIS.ORG>
Subject:      Re: hiccups/hesitations-update-new AFM
Comments: To: Kw <kokopellis@ATT.NET>

>How about this theory, when you removed the air filter housing, I.E. the >AFM) to put in the new one you jiggled the AFM and associated wiring >which made a better connection. Makes me think it could be in the >wiring that connects to the AFM. Jan 5, 2001 8:16 PM PST Ok here is the latest. After much discussion and talking to 2 mechanics. I did not replace the ignition switch nor the Hall sender. They were in fine shape and the tach did not give any indication that any electrical power was shutting them down. It is an errant signal to the ECU. Well the new AFM did help with the idle and running and even though I ran the van about 100 miles with the new AFM (with no problems whsoever)it then suddenly happened again the next day after driving it 35 miles stopping for about 6 hrs. then taking off again in the mountains (big sentence run on here) with 5 people and uphill in 3rd it finally did it again but bad, never did stall, threw it in 2nd uphill 5 % grade then 3rd, hiccup -then on the highway no problems. Ok I went with a $10 feul pump relay - ran it about 15 miles today - no problems. So I'm gonna forget about it. It is so intermittent and I don't think I'll ever get stuck. When it becomes more progressive- I'll spend real bucks to get it fixed. Original post follows. Thanks to you all - and a special thanks to Sam Walters,Ken Lewis and Ed Debolt. If you folks are ever in Santa Cruz, - look me up. Ciao, Paolo

Symptoms: '87 Westy 90,000 miles (drive about 4k a year- not used much-mint) Original owner (new problem -never happened) New rotor,cap, wires (17k) and installed new fuel filter and 3 cans of gas treatment (for water absorption) and now new Air Flow Meter. O2 Sensor has 28K

The van will hiccup or hesitate and lose power momentarily for maybe half a second, like a hiccup. I watched the tach when it does it and it does not go down to zero or fluctuate at all maybe when the hesitation is about a second it may drop one indicator line on the gauge. The frequency of this happening is now increasing- maybe once every 4 or 5 min.

When it happens: Uphill, cruising and downhill with foot on throttle.

Does not happen: Downhill with foot off throttle, 1st gear or at idle.

ADDENDUM With the new air flow meter it's not happening as much.

Twenty One 21st Century Zen quotes - Zen quote #14: If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.