Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:49:22 -0800
From:         Garth Woolstenhulme <garth@RGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine conversion
Comments: To: John Smith <johns3539@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi John,

I did a diesel Vanagon to gas conversion (I4) several years ago that I gave to my mom. She had problems finding people to work on it (but she also had problems finding a decent Honda mechanic). Once when I went to visit I had just a few tools with me and I could not fix a problem with her fuel injection. Got out the phone book, found a authorized Bosch fuel injection shop, called and they said to bring it in. The guy ran the pressure tests just like in Bentley, was no problem for him, and he found the problem. She subsequently took the van back to him and had problems with him. I've since decided that as she knows nothing about cars, she cannot give a good description of the problem to the mechanic and I also think that as a women, they take advantage of her ignorance (I do not have the same problems with the same mechanics).

I think that if you go with the VW I4 conversion, you will be able to get someone to fix it if you know your conversion, have an idea as to what the problem may be, and have everything easy for the mechanic to see, trace and to work on. I had put all the relays out in the open and as soon as the mechanic opened the engine compartment he was able start working with out a lot of head scratching. For me, it is just a Golf engine in the back, which I think is easier to work on than the wasserboxer.

Garth

John Smith wrote: > >. Does anyone recommend a conversion to someone who can't > fix every single nook and cranny of their van on their own? > John > 83.5 Westy > Arlington, VA > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com