Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jan 2001 04:54:23 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      flyers for murdered Type 2 list member
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com

Some of you may remember postings in August 2000 about the Arkansas murder of Kristen Laurite, a 25-year-old member of the Type2 list traveling in her 71 VW camper. She was heading cross-country with her two dogs in her VW bus from New Jersey to settle in San Diego, CA where she would start work as a school teacher.

Her journey ended in an Arkansas rest stop near Morrilton on interstate route 40 near the 109 mile marker where she had stopped during daylight hours and where later her body was found near by. She had apparently been the victim of a brutal attack--raped and stabbed repeatedly in the throat in the afternoon or early evening--again, daylight hours at that time of year.

Kristen's family has started a campaign to find her killer including billboards in Arkansas and the circulation of flyers asking for anyone with information to contact authorities in Arkansas. Since people using rest areas are often traveling through an area to far away destinations people with information useful to the investigation may have no way of knowing there was a crime committed that day, or that they have useful information to authorities. It is hoped by the family and investigators that distribution of a flyer with the specifics of the crime location and time will alert possible witnesses or those with information that there was a crime and there is an ongoing investigation.

The crime to this date is unsolved, and according to published accounts there is reason to believe Kristen was a victim of an unidentified serial killer at large who more recently attacked a 14-year-old girl near Everett, Washington on October 9, 2000.

I believe many of us as members of this list located throughout the US and Canada are in a position to help in the effort to solve the murder of this young woman from our VW community.

There is a printable flyer with photos of Kristen and information on the crime at http://www.kvom.com/lauriteflyer.htm

My advice is to print several and carry them in your travels in your bus--posting them in places such as rest stops where they could possibly reach someone with information.

A website with information and news articles on the murder has been set up by a member of the Type2 list at: http://www.yourvw.com/Kristin/

And again, the website with an easily printable flyer is: http://www.kvom.com/lauriteflyer.htm

I should mention all the above information was obtained through the mentioned web sites and from several postings to the Vanagon list in August and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I had never met Kristen, but imagine she had the same spirit that leads many of us to travel to far away places in our VW busses.

Perhaps we can help.

Jeff 83.5 Westy LA, CA