Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:40:30 -0500
From:         jhlauterbach <jhlauterbach@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Convert 85 auto to 4sp? And HP increases please
Comments: To: Radish <radish150@EARTHLINK.NET>

Mark, I have had an '84 with 1.9 and auto trans for 3.5 years now. Guy I bought it from for $500 thought it was next to dead, but it wasn't. With help of this list, the list vendors, and some memories from my first Vanagon ('82 diesel), I have been able to make it into a reliable vehicle that is easy to work on yourself. One a year, I have my mechanic drain the auto trans fluid, change the filter, and put new fluid in. It works. Indeed, the Dexron III fluid in my Vanagon looks and smells much better than the stuff in my '98 Montana.

Vanagons with 1.9s and auto transmissions are not meant for drag racing. However, they will get you up the steep hills on the interstates far better than the '82 diesels would.

John Lauterbach Macon, GA ----- Original Message ----- From: "Radish" <radish150@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 4:29 PM Subject: Convert 85 auto to 4sp? And HP increases please