Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2001 10:23:25 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <slwalters@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Fire extinguisher from 82 Westy

Volks,

I have a few question about a few of the things that I have found in this dead, topless and engineless 82 Westy that I purchased recently for for parts. Actually I have many questions, but will only hit the list with a few at a time.

1 - Fire extinguisher - the van has a German fire extinguisher and its mounting bracket. It is a Gloria DIN-Feuerloscher 2 kg ABC-Pulver Typ Avus PG 2 SM Near the bottom of the canister are "Loscher: P1-2/79 PG2L DIN14406" and "Loschmittel: PL-3/65" A "chart with the heading "Werks Endkontrolle has arrowheads pointing to 01 (for January) and 83 (presumably for 1983). On the bottom recessed in a dome like area is a valve and gauge. Needle is to good side of the green range and there is a small hex head nut. Anybody know anything about this. Is it likely to have any fire extinguishing value, is it rechargeable, and/or is it of any value to someone trying to restore a van to near original condition?

2 - Manual transmission- it appears that the whole transaxle unit is there, shifter linkage, shafts to rear wheels, etc. This van has been sitting for a long time, so is this of any value? I saw previous posts about being able to use these in vanagons with an adapter kit. I have never worked on a transmission, much less a vanagon one so I have no idea, but realize that it could be of some value to someone. As I start to work on this thing, I don't want to just throw useful parts away, just because they are not the camper stuff that lead me to buy it.

Any help information will be appreciated - either pmail or to the list.

Thanks in advance.

Sam Walters