Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:36:31 -0800
From:         Chris Weddle <info@2WEDDLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Re: Why I hate UPS (was: Vendors and shipping)
Comments: To: Lawrence Johnson <LARRY_AVERY.JOHNSON@sympatico.ca>,
          "\\1980 VW Westfalia \\\"Pokey\\\"\\" <pokey@vanagon.org>,
          "Syncro@egroups.com" <Syncro@egroups.com>,
          urabus <subaruvanagon@egroups.com>

Why Vanagon parts vendors might not like to use the US Post Office for shipment of international packages:

As a business that is attempting to make money, we normally won't ship anything by the US Post Office because we have to wait in line for 45 minutes and if a package ever gets lost (which seems to happen all too frequently), they tells us "tough luck". Insurance on the package does not help this problem, because once the package leaves US soil, the post office will not take any responsibility for delivery. Believe me, we have tried to file damage and loss claims with the post office and it is totally pointless.

In the rare event that UPS loses a package, they will cover the loss, even if the loss occurs outside US borders. Also, they pick up at our door, which saves us at least an hour of hassle.

I think you will find that very few "for profit" businesses are willing to use the US Post Office to ship international packages. If one of our international customers absolutely insists that we ship a package by the US Post Office, we will usually do it, but we add a minimum handling fee of $30.