Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2001 16:00:17 -0500
From:         Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>
Subject:      oil seal questions
Comments: To: Diesel <owner-diesel@vwfans.com>

I'm swapping engines for my '82 diesel westy. The "new" engine is out of a VW Quantum, and it ran just fine, so I do not intend to remove the head or crank shaft from this engine. I have no reason to disassemble this factory built machine- As far as I know, it's never been opened. We suspect this engine has only about 70-80k miles on it. I'm simply swapping off the various bits and pieces so I can use it in my vanagon.

I have a couple questions re oil seals. I was told that while I have everything apart, I should go ahead and put in new-

intermediate shaft oil seal crank shaft oil seal (pulley side) crank shaft oil seal (flywheel side)

Should I replace these seals? Bentley shows a special tool to remove the flywheel side oil seal. I don't have it. Replacing these seals seems somewhat unnecessary to me, and slightly daunting. Are any of these seals known to leak? Would replacing any of these seals compromise what I view as a "factory tuned" engine assembly?

Are there any other parts I should go ahead and replace? I'll be putting in all new belts, thermostat, waterpump o-ring, and oil pan filler tube o-rings.

Where can I find a reasonably priced windage tray?

I'm documenting this whole procedure with my video camera. I hope to put up a web site for it.

If anyone has any advice related to any part of this procedure, PLEASE! Speak up! thanks!

Bradley Flubacher State College, PA