Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:36:30 -0700
From:         Sean Reifschneider <jafo@TUMMY.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Re: Why I hate UPS (was: Vendors and shipping)
Comments: To: Lawrence Johnson <LARRY_AVERY.JOHNSON@SYMPATICO.CA>
Comments: cc: 1980 VW Westfalia Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>,
          "Syncro@egroups.com" <Syncro@egroups.com>,
          urabus <subaruvanagon@egroups.com>

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 09:45:29AM -0500, Lawrence Johnson wrote: >I wish you had posted this last week. UPS is in the process of screwing me out >of over $100 more than it would have cost with the postal service. And if that

You say that like UPS is any better at delivering US-to-US... I ALWAYS go with FedEx whenever possible because of the numerous times that UPS has failed. I can live with some failure, but their failures are always so spectacular...

Usually, when something fails to get delivered, they have absolutely NO idea where it is ("We think it's somwhere in Texas", "We think it's somwhere in Tenessee" -- both things we've heard with different packages). Also, they won't really talk to the recipient, only the shipper. If the shipper is too busy to be calling UPS all the time to try to track down your package, tough luck.

UPS has shipped "priority" packages (with the red sticker and everything) via ground, completely lost packages, required 6+ weeks to deliver ground packages, and more. They never seem to feel that they should compensate you for it either. Took nearly two weeks to deliver a priority package? And you want to be credited the difference between priority and ground? As if...

Our worse experience with FedEx has been that one day their database was down, so we couldn't look up the tracking information on the web on one particular important package. We called them and they couldn't tell us where it was. The package arrived on-time but they credited us all shipping fees because they couldn't tell us where it was.

I just wish more vendors offered FedEx. Usually, FedEx is something around 15% more expensive than UPS for priority packages, and on computer equipment I usually want it priority and it's often not very heavy/expensive to ship priority. Shipping an engine probably isn't best done by FedEx, though they do have a new Freight setup.

I've heard good things about that shipping place that starts with a D (DRL, DHL, something like that) for handling international shipments.

Sean -- "All I'm saying is that when I'm around you I find myself showing off, which is the idiots version of being interesting." -- _LA_Story_ Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com> tummy.com - Linux Consulting since 1995. Qmail, KRUD, Firewalls, Python