Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:59:55 -0700
From:         Jon B Kanas <kanas@QADAS.COM>
Subject:      RapidIdle when Warm
Comments: cc: "Justin B. Jensen" <jjensen@sprintmail.com>,
          Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>,
          Bill Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>,
          Angus Gordon <agordon@bright.net>,
          Keith Adams <keith_adams@transcanada.com>

Good Day,

Last December I posted to the list regarding my 1987 Westfalia Syncro idle being very high when warm. The list consensus was to replace the coolant temperature sensor. Finally, over the weekend, it's been warm enough to work on the Westy, which is too tall to fit in my garage (ex chicken coop!). I performed the following tasks in approximately 45 minutes yesterday. The problem has been resolved, the overall idle of the Vanagon is much improved. I do not know for certain which was the specific solution, but the combination was easy to perform and significantly improved my Vanagon's behavior:

Replaced coolant sensor; cleaned connection with WD-40.

Removed and cleaned idle air solenoid with carb cleaner. There was quite a bit of gritty white powder in this, but it WASN'T corrosion. The inside was shiny and unpitted after cleaning! Cleaned idle air solenoid electrical connection.

Removed air cleaner and air flow sensor to facilitate installation of new water-trap snorkel boot (Syncro-unique part). Cleaned all electrical sensor connections on boot between air cleaner and throttle body, reseated and tightened all clamps on reinstallation of air cleaner.

Cleaned idle switch connection on top of cylinder #2 intake runner.

Adjusted the rear brakes (probably not related to idle problem :-))

Replaced melted Right Rear bumper cover (don't go on a trip without a tailpipe!)

Replaced cover for Rear Washer reservoir.

Thanks to Ken Wilfey for finding a whole list of obscure parts I needed, and the rest of the list for their general know-how and assistance. Happy new year to all....

Jon B Kanas

IBM Global Services / IT Architecture kanasjon@us.ibm.com 303-924-9049

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.