Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:25:45 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Funky Idle Issues and a note on the shipping issue (long)

Hi all,

I tell you, there's nothing like having such a great resource as the people on the Vanagon list, even if everybody does get carried away with such issues as shipping from time to time. FWIW, my .02 cents on that subject: Everything I've ever received from the Bus Depot has been, in my opinion, poorly packed, with the exception of the skylight which they probably got packed from Trevor Reid, the Skylight Guy, though nothing's been broken in shipment. UPS's customer service flat-out sucks. They dropped my tranny from Long Enterprises and broke part of it, but in the interest of getting the tranny in and avoiding the months that I was told it would take to rectify the situation, I paid to have the part welded (also paid to have the tranny pulled out and re-installed after welding, which also sucked). I'll probably go to Daryl Christensen at AA Transaxle next time I need tranny work because none of the parties, Long Enterprises, C.J. Buggs in Fishersville, VA, or UPS wanted to have anything to do with setting this situation right. In the case of the broken mirror, UPS broke it but, given my experience with BD's packing, it probably should have been packed better. Being such a trivial expense relative to the hassle of trying to get UPS to set things right, The Bus Depot should probably go ahead and send out another mirror . . . HOWEVER, what they decide and how they do it is best left up to the three parties involved. I think it's fair enough to say that Ron has ample feedback now on how his customers feel about the way things are handled on his end. I leave it in his hands to decide what he wants to do with it and I think we should move on to all the other problems that are plaguing our beloved beasts of burden.

To that end, a follow-up to my original questions on the Funky Idle:

1) Joel Walker, whose response to my questions is listed below, has always been very quick and forthcoming with very useful suggestions and often the right answers to the many questions I've had in the past year. So has Robert Lilley. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, Joel and Robert, publicly.

2) All I've had a chance to do about the idle problem is to check to be sure the throttle switch is clicking. It is. My meter is an old analog meter and seems to be malfunctioning, so I haven't checked the switch with my meter yet or checked the gap to see that it's adjusted right.

3) I haven't checked the idle stabilizer valve for correct operation yet either, but the hose that connects to the right side of it doesn't seem to fit too tightly . . .

4) I'm trying to familiarize myself with all the parts as of yet. I assume the coolant temp sensor mentioned by Joel is the Temp II sensor? Still trying to find that . . . is this the temp sender that's directly below the thermostat housing?

5) There's a coil spring on top of the throttle switch that seems to be pretty dirty. As a result, that thing, whatever it is, that the spring seems to control does not move too smoothly. What is it and can it have any effect on the idle? Let me guess, that's actually the throttle valve itself?

6) The ground strap and its connectors appear to be fine.

7) The oxygen sensor was replaced shortly before I got the van, but I didn't get a chance to check the wires yet.

And that's all I have to report on the Funky Idle issue for now. Marc Perdue