Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:19:27 -0800
From:         Houston <dubwisened@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: purchase advice, 1980s westfalia

> 1. how do you get into the poptop, and how does it > act as a bed for anyone > longer than about 3 feet? none of the pictures i've > found webside have > shown this. You flip the mattress down (the front half folds over the back half), then climb up on the sink cabinet and scurry on up. I'm 6'0", and sleep up top, so i wouldn't want to be much longer. > > 2. what's the deal with the 1983.5-1985 engines, > and why have some sites > i've seen recommended going with the 1980-83 or >86 > westies based on the > engine? i understand they introduced a new engine > during this period, but > what exactly should i avoid (and i am not talking > head gaskets here)? i ask > this because i have found a 1985 wolfsburg westfalia > locally, and am > considering it.

In my mind, the most important thing here is how well cared-for the van has been, not what engine it has. There has been considerable debate on the list about the merits of 1.9 vs. 2.1. I don't think this, or any other of the world's bigger problems, has been solved yet. > > 3. if you have an electric fridge, how is it > powered? by the car battery? > i see a lot of references to > secondary/tertiary/quaternary batteries.

The Dometic fridge that was installed by Westfalia in the 80s models can run on AC power, propane, or the battery. The battery only runs the fridge when the van is running and the alternator is charging. A secondary battery is helpful if you want to be able to run lights, stereo, etc. while camping without having to worry about whether the van will start in the morning. Again, there has been a lot of debate on the list about whether to drive with the fridge on propane. I don't. > > 4. can the incredibly detailed checklist at > vanagon.com be distilled into a > top 10 or 20 items to make sure of, plus the rest > which would only cause > marginal (yet operative) pain if they weren't > closely regarded during > inspection?

Why would you want to do that? Seriously: compression, rust, availability of service records and condition of fuel lines would be the highest on my priority list. > > 5. just how comfortable *are* the beds?

I think I sleep better in the van than at home, but that may be the fresh air and the marshmallows. The bottom is a bit cushier. > > 6. can a third seat be installed just anywhere on > the floor behind/between > the front buckets, or are there specific spots? i > think of my child and his > carseat in this instance...

I've heard of this being done, but don't know anything about it. FWIW, my kids love having their own space in the back seat. > > 7. are there any things to be utterly wary about > when searching for a > westfalia? obvious things like "the 1984 westfalia > always came with broken > spark plug wires".

Leaking fuel lines and weak coolant lines, due to the age of most of these vehicles. > > thanks, sorry for the startlingly loud appearance > here, but i hope we (my > wife and i) can get something together *westfalian* > for long enough that i > can turn around and contribute!

I think the best advice I got when I was looking was to find a Westy that had been loved and cared for. When the family we bought our '84 from gathered in their driveway to wave goodbye to Morrison and to my family, I knew we were onto something. Good luck.

Houston '84 Westy