Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:16:24 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <slwalters@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: transmission
Comments: To: brian adams <baadamz@HOTMAIL.COM>

Brian,

At least five years ago I hopped back into my 84 after leaving it parked in the park for about an hour and no shifting control - the lever flopped all over the place - didn't seem to be tied to the H pattern of the gears. Had to get home - this was before the days of cell phones - all the family was there together, etc. so I moved it around some more and discovered that if I worked on muscle memory and caution, I could find the gears. Got home, then actually drove it carefully for a couple of days while I considered my options and made phone calls. The actual shifting and driving after it was in gear was just fine - but the floppy shift lever was nerve racking and clearly something was amiss.

The two VW dealerships around wanted $1200 to even look at it and then there would be parts on top of that, maybe additional labor. It seemed like it had to be something simple yet several other transmission shops either didn't want to touch it or started off with $750 plus minimum charges.

Finally, almost out of desperation, I decided to call Aamco and selected a shop near the airport as I was going out of town for a couple of days. Called the shop, got the manager and described the problem just like I had to everyone else. As I thought others would have been able to do, he gave me a tentative diagnosis and estimated a $275 to $400 repair job. Don't remember the part name. (At that point, I was not doing any repair work, did not have a Bentley, did not know of the list, etc., but it seemed like it was a simple part or two.)

Of course, he reserved the right to be wrong and that it could be something else. So I took it in, left and went to the airport by cab. Called late that afternoon and he told me about $275. I okayed up to $350 since I would be unavailable the next day. When I called back the next day, he said during the work they found another small part that should be replaced, but that it had been too late to get it that day so it would take an extra day. I was prepared for a rip off when I heard this until he told me the price would only go up to $350. Said OK. Got home from the airport some other way.

Called back the next day - done and ready. Went out to get it, price slightly less than $325 - time to fix was less than estimated. It has run like a charm ever since up until very recently when age and miles (174k) are starting to show. So you never know - why not give them a try - the estimate is free.

Maybe I got lucky - with many chains, there seems to be substantial variation from one site to the next.

Good luck,

Sam Walters '84 Vanagon '89 Syncro