Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:01:11 -0800
From:         Zach Kaplan <zakaplan@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW to cut 2001 Eurovan price by 16 pct in U.S
Comments: To: Keith Adams <keith_adams@transcanada.com>

on 2001/1/10 12:58, Keith Adams at keith_adams@transcanada.com wrote:

> Write to your congressman. As I understand it one of the big problems > with bringing further TDI technology here is the poor quality of diesel > fuel in the U.S. Any changes to fuel standards are vehemently opposed > by the trucker lobby as the cost of fuel would rise further. Also, > since many states are banning the sale of diesel powered passenger cars > (california, NY) that adds a further complication... > > (that oughta start a good fight!) > Keith

Actually I just heard on the radio about a week ago that much to the protest of the truckers and truck engine manufacturers the EPA or whoever governs such things passed the new diesel emissions law which I believe fully takes effect in 2007. In order for engines to meet the new emission requirements low sulfur fuel will be required which will increase fuel costs but help make the air cleaner. Many of the large diesel engines in fleet vehicles are going to be switching over to alternative fuels such as CNG and biodiesel to meet the emissions requirements.

I think the latest generation of European TDI engines will meet the requirments if run on low sulfur fuel. I heard one reason VW doesn't sell the 150 horsepower 1.9l TDI engine in the US is because the US fuel is too dirty for it.

AFAIK there is no ban on diesel powered passenger cars in California where I live. A friend bought a 1999 TDI Beetle. VW had set a voluntary quota for California of what percentage of the vehicles it sells in California are diesel powered. As a result TDI Beetles have been selling for up to $7000 over list price in California. So he bought it in another state.

Also I believe vans and pickups are held to a lower pollution standard than cars (though that is changing in the next few years along with the safety standards as so many people are using light trucks as cars).

Zach Kaplan