Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:46:27 -0800
From:   Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:   Re: what did i do? tempII sender
Comments:   To: Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>

> my temp gauge on dash stopped working, although blinking red light works at > test. so i went and pulled off my temp II sender on thermo housing to > inspect.

the sender for the gauge is NOT the Temp II sensor. The Temp II sensor sends information to the ECU which uses this information to adjust the fuel enrichment during start up.... The coolant temerature sender for the temperature gauge is the other sender in the thermostat housing... at least that's where it's at on my 90 Syncro.

maybe i should not have, but i then proceeded to start the van > without sender connected. it started up but idle rpm shot up to 3000 rpm. > i shut her down and went back to reconnect the sender. now the van will not > start at all. i disconnected the tII sendor again and still no start. what > did i do? is there a fuse that could have blown?

I dont think so...

>is the sensor shot?

maybe the coolant temp sensor, but probably not the Temp II sensor...

why > does my gauge no longer work when the van is warming up?

the problem may be the temp gauge sender or the wiring between it and the dash... or wiring in the dash or the bulb itself; but has nothing to do with the Temp II sensor...

also before all > this happened, with the van idling i pulled around on the temp II sensor and > it made the idle kind of increase. what's going on here?

Temp II sensor can have effect on the idle via sending information to the ECU....

It may be that you engine flooded by not having the Temp II sensor connected... let it sit over night and try starting it again with the Temp II sensor connected...

Bill