Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:17:42 -0800
From:         Greg Bendle <sohowesty@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      New Micro Bus & the Future VW

Folks,

I want first say that I love my Westy, old Busses & bugs, VW diesel, and even the new VW's. However, I hate to say it, a lot of us Vanagon owners are not VW target market in the future.

I can't afford $35,000 Bus. I wish I could, but I can't. $35,000 for a camper vison would be one thing, but the van?

Peich (sp?) goal for the future of VW is to become the Mercedes Benz for 25-35 year old generation (my generation). VW's will continue to become more & more expensive. There will be no simple bus. It will be decked out and there is no chance for diesel here in the US :(.

The 25 year old girls driving around in their Black Jetta, Drinking Starbucks (the Evil Empire), wearing all their black hip clothes, and talking on their cell phone is VW future target. As the Lincoln Park Trixies (25 year old Chicks Living in Lincoln Park, Chicago) grow older, VW will be more than happy to sell them powerful, stylish, larger cars, Busses, & Suv's.

VW will be dropping the platform concept in the future. The difference between, VW, SEAT, Skoda, & Audi will be come greater. VW will be the luxury division & Audi the sporty division.

I hate to say it, a simple Bus will never happen. Especially if it is built in Europe, the tarriffs a lone will kill any hope for a cheap bus.

I don't like it, but that VW's plans for the future.

Greg Bendle

82 Westy 1.9TD