Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jan 2001 21:08:52 -0800
From:         TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: high beams not working, 86 Westy
Comments: To: "Imua Camper Co." <elua@INTERPAC.NET>

--- "Imua Camper Co." <elua@INTERPAC.NET> wrote: > High beams are out, will come on if the switch is > held on, but won't stay > on after the 'click' of the lever.

Had the same problem. At the same time the windscreen wiper wouldn't work. I traced the wiring diagram and found out it MUST be the ignition switch (has three parts, one actually carrying ALL the headlight current plus activation of load reduction relay. Stupid design. This melts the ignition switch). I removed the load reduction relay and saw no voltage was getting there. Jumpered the bad ignition circuit (just to keep going) and all was fine. Careful when jumpering because it's not fused. Got home and got me a new ignition switch, connected it temporarily to wiring harness on steering wheel: problem solved. Only then I went ahead and replaced it (it's caged within the steering wheel lock). Note: carful when you dismantle the steering wheel lock. If it jumps in your face the bentley is pretty scarce in explanations... I used Ken Wilford's (www.vanagain.com) instructions but they were pretty scarce too (the bentley at least gives correct dimensions and pictures). Just note down what you're doing, and take care the steering column is fully engaged with the rubber shock absorber at the bottom (otherwise YOU MIGHT LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR CAR should it detach while driving!!!). Good luck!

===== Cheers, TinkerMan