Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:29:16 -0600
From:         Steve Sandlin <carlocks@TXUCOM.NET>
Subject:      Re: purchase advice; 80's Westy

Bill, I'll give you MY opinions on your questions. I have an '84 Wolfsburg Edition Westy. 1) I only use the poptom for storage, but there are some rope boarding ladders for Jet Skis that I would think would work uite well for getting in and out of the upper berth.

2) The 1.9 Wasserboxer is prone to head problems, but so is the 2.1. The bottom endo of the engine is very robust. Just plan on heads at 100-125K. If the antifreeze has been changed, and the proper product used, head leaks should be minimized. The fuel injection at times can be troublesom, but it is pretty simple.

3) Fridge is powered by 110 shore power when plugged in, propane operation is always possible, and the 12 volt operation can occur when vehicle is running. Unit may be switched from any mode to another. I only use a single battery, but generally camp where shore power is available. Our camping group also has a generator mounted 6.5 KW Onan generator set with 25 gal fuel tank (VERY quiet) that several of us plug into while camping. This lets us run TV's, air conditioners (mounted in drivers window) small electric heaters, etc. when we camp. Perhaps you don't agree with our methods, but as aging baby boomers, it fits our out-of-shape bodies extremely well.

4) Check for leaks of all vital fluids, make sure camping gear works, compression test.

5) On the Wolfsburg, VERY comfortable. A friend with standard GL does not feel that his beds are as comfortable. He puts a sleeping bag on top of the mattress for a bit of extra padding, then puts on the sheets and comforter.

6) There are tracks where the jumpseat is designed to mount. They are occassionally available by vendors on this site.

7)Look for seam rust, rust around the windows, etc. I've not noticed any absolutes when checking them out.

Good luck. If you can find another list member near you with a bit more experience, perhaps they might look at the van with you.

Steve Sandlin http://www.steveslockshop.com '84 Wolfsburg Westy '79 Transporter '00 New Beetle