Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 23:49:27 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine swappers: How low can your engine go and keep you
              going?

<<Just curious... what is the solution to which you refer.  I'm at 180K on the original heads but am always looking for any clue that will make them last forever. >>

I started with the AMC heads and changed the Italian valves for German valves. The AMC has a higher aluminum content in the alloy to make them more resistant to corrosion. Added some mild porting and a racing valve job: 3 angle on seats and 2 angle on valve. Stronger Cromoly valve spring retainers, stronger racing valve keepers. Match ported the intake system and exhaust system.

I applied (Swain Tech did the actual coatings) a non-corrisive thermo barrier ceramic coating to the sealing surface of the head (actually the entire face of the head including the combustion chamber) to serve as a barrier to the pressure corrosion where the rubber gasket meets the head surface.

My thinking was to put something between the head surface and the gasket to prevent the corrosion from starting. The added plus is that the thermo barrier reduces the heat that the rubber gasket gets during running prolonging the service life.

I also applied the ceramic coatings to the entire exhaust system, the exhaust valve radius, exhaust port and piston top to reduce the radiant heat escaping from the engine. This keeps the exhaust gases hotter and increases the exiting velocity, increasing flow of the exhaust gasses out and increasing the intake gases velocity into the combustion chamber. Thus giving an increase in power. The rubber parts and FI parts have the heat they normally absorbs reduced to increase the service life.

After an hour run in 95 degree heat, the alternator is warm and I can place my hand on it and not get burned. Before it was too hot.

I have done a lot of other things to increase the life of the engine, increase power and improve mileage. I went from 18 mpg to 22 mpg with an increase in power.

Some other improvements: Counterweights added to stock crank Lightened flywheel Full balance Pauter aluminum roller tip and 1.3 ratio rocker arms Cromoly cut to fit push rods Aluminum valve covers Quad tip platinum plugs Digifant 022D ECU power-chip upgrade Super Turbo muffler Drop in K&N airfilter Special German coolant Racing spacer Racing clutch bolts Welded clutch shaft Five speed .457 South African transmission

[text/html]