Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:19:58 -0800
From:         Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW MicroBus Concept
Comments: To: jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET

Well at least they're trying, and its about time. But you're right, this one misses the mark. Really they need to do more to derive it from the new beetle. As far as a front engine goes, I'd rather have space there used for a small front trunk for a briefcase, like in the 911s, they can keep the engine in the rear, just make it more convenient......

......like an electronic seat-into-a-bed instead of the manual seat-into-a-bed, which can be a drag, .....for a weekender they could have a space on the roof that is for storing things and that is accessible only from the outside, not really deep, but definitely a place for surfboards, razor scooters, skateboards, maybe one bike, with side steps so you can reach this from either side, and then too, a hydraulic lift so you can look at your engine without moving all the stuff in the back, in other words, the seat folds into a bed with a press of the button, and then the rear cushion area lifts just enough to clear the folded down rear seat and then moves forward, and presto you can look at your engine. That would be my dream. Why isn't VW asking me?

My second choice would be to place one cylinder in each of the four wheels with two more under the front seats where the batteries used to go.

My third choice would be to have the engine optional, an add on that you place on a small trailer which follows the vanagon.

But an engine up front isn't much of a choice, judging from the picture, its a disaster.